Social Facebook Instagram Twitter LinkedIn Youtube


Frequently asked questions

Music creators

You are a music maker if you are a musician (a soloist, band, session musician, choir or orchestra member or conductor, for example) or producer and you have been involved in a record or CD recording or commercial download. Under the Dutch Neighbouring Rights Act (Wet op naburige rechten), you are entitled to a fee if your recording has been played in public or has been broadcast on the radio and/or on television. However, you must also meet several requirements.

No, as an author you are not entitled to a fee from Sena. Sena works under the Neighbouring Rights Act and collects money for musicians and producers. Authors such as composers, lyricists and music publishers are copyrighted and are represented by Buma/Stemra.

Sena does not collect for:

  • Audiovisual (this goes through Norma)
  • Copyright (this goes through Buma/Stemra)
  • Live on radio and TV (this goes through Norma)
  • Live (for example in a bar) (this goes through Buma)  
  • On demand (you must report directely to the relevant Producer)

That’s great. We would be pleased to welcome you as a new neighbouring rights owner. You can register online here. Remember to print out and sign the registration forms. For identification purposes, please include a copy of your passport or identity card with your registration forms. As it is not necessary for your Citizen Service number (BSN) or passport photograph to be visible, feel free to erase both with a black pen. Once we have completed your registration, we will destroy the copy provided by you.

Change of address
If you have moved or will you be moving in the near future, you will find that it is quick and easy to update your address details yourself online via the MySena. If you are an artist and have a personal account, click on Musician after logging in. You will be able to change your details in the screen that appears. If you have a producer’s account, click on Company after logging in. After you have changed your address, we will send you a link via email to confirm your new address.

Change of account number
Do you have a new bank account number? This can easily be changed via MySena too. If you are an artist and have a personal account, click on Musician after logging in. Here you can adjust your bank account number yourself. Please note: you must add proof in order to change your bank account number. This proof can be a copy of the front and back of your bank card, a bank statement with your signature on it or a signed letter containing your new back account details. If you have a producer's account, click on Company after logging in and follow the same steps. After we have approved your bank changes, you will receive a confirmation by email.

Having any problems? Please contact our Customer Relation Department via +31(0)35 625 17 80 or send an email to

The amount of money you receive from us varies from one track to another. It depends on factors such as the number of minutes the track has been played. The number of musicians who have collaborated on the track is another important factor. Once you have registered, you can view the amount reserved for each individual track online, via the MySena portal.

In accordance with the distribution subregulations, we pay 50% to musicians who played on the track and 50% to the producer of the track. You can find a detailed description on this subject in our distribution regulations

To give you an idea of approximately how much one minute of music is worth, a minute-value overview per station and broadcast time follows below (in Dutch). This overview is a snapshot of the values applicable on 18 October 2018 and relates to music year 2016.


No rights can be derived form the above minute values.

Alternatively, use your itemised invoice to calculate the minute value in a certain period.

If you self-publish music, this means that you are both a musician and a producer. You should therefore also register as a producer with Sena. This means that you will also receive a fee as a producer whenever your music is been played on radio or television.

For more information on the ISRC and the application procedure, read this page: ISRC.

Sena processes the airplay data of many national and regional radio and television broadcasters. For cost reasons, we do not process airplay data from all radio stations and television broadcasters. If you have not yet received a fee for any of your music that has been played by one of the broadcasters from the list, this means that we have not processed the airplay data for these tracks yet and will pay the fee later. Sena pays fees four times a year, in March, June, September and December.

Yes, as the legal heir of a musician or producer, you can claim a fee. To submit a claim, fill in, sign and return the required ‘Heirs’ forms to us. You can also do this via MySena.

If your track has been registered in MySena, we will match the information about the track to the information on radio and television station playlists. If your repertoire appears on the playlists of these radio and television stations, we will process the data.

An amount is reserved for tracks appearing on playlists. We refer to this amount as a reserved amount as it may still be subject to change up until the date on which the payment is made. Sena pays the fees four times a year, at the end of the months of March, June, September and December. We add up all the fees for the quarterly period and pay them if your net fee is €12 or more. Reserved amounts are recorded in MySena after the track shown in the repertoire list. You can use the Sena app at any time to check your current balance – the gross amount that has been reserved for the next payment to you.

Tracks that have not been played and therefore do not appear on playlists will also remain in your repertoire list in MySena. The status of these tracks will always be ‘track added’.

Musicians and producers receive a payment from Sena if their music has been played in public. We carefully examine who is entitled to receive a fee. We compare radio and television station playlists with the repertoire data recorded in our database. We then calculate the correct fees and pay these. If musicians or producers have not yet registered with us, we reserve their fees for a maximum of three years. During that period we actively search for the person or organisation concerned.

Sena pays fees four times a year, at the end of the months of March, June, September and December. We add up all the fees for the quarterly period and pay if the net fee amounts to €12 or more. Reserved amounts are recorded in MySena after the track shown in the repertoire list.

We distribute the amounts due to rightholders in accordance with Section 7(4) of the Neighbouring Rights Act (Wet op naburige rechten). Performers and producers receive 50% of the payments available each. The Sena distribution subregulations describe in detail how the payments collected are distributed.

Our aim is to pay the amounts collected by us as quickly and correctly as possible, at the lowest possible cost. The deduction percentage is 12% on amounts that we collect in the Netherlands. Where income originates from foreign sister organisations, we apply a deduction percentage of 4% (the EU and EFTA countries) or 6% (the rest of the world), depending on the country of origin.

Sena has no legal mandate to collect a fee for on-demand music. That right accrues solely to the producer or music company. Music companies conclude contracts directly with on-demand music providers such as iTunes, Deezer, Spotify and YouTube.

If you organise a national or regional event, please complete the SoCu application form. If you are planning to self-publish your own music, you can submit an application to Sena Performers Muziekproductiefonds. Sena supports numerous festivals, events, music recordings and other social, cultural and educational initiatives every year.

Besides the deduction percentage of 12%, the following deductions are made from licence fee income:

  • The Performers Section reserves 3% of the payments collected for performers for social, cultural and educational services.
  • The Producers Section has a more restrictive policy on social, cultural and educational services. In recent years, it has reserved less than 1% of the payments collected for this purpose.

See the Sena annual report and the web page about funds for a detailed explanation of Sena’s social, cultural and educational projects. We do not have any income from investments.

Amounts that we are not able to distribute among lawful rightholders are referred to as ‘undistributed amounts’. In accordance with the distribution subregulations, the representatives of the Performers Section and the representatives of the Producers Section are authorised to decide on the use of these undistributed amounts.

The policy of the Performers Section is to allocate undistributed amounts to social, cultural and educational services.

The policy of the Producers Section is to add undistributed amounts to the payments intended for distribution.

The studio producer supervises the recording in the studio and ensures that it comes about. The producer is financially responsible for the recording and owner of the master tape.

The neighboring right is exempt from VAT.

The income of Sena is taxed for the person entitled to income tax (natural persons/sole proprietorship/partnership). The income of Sena for the beneficiaries with whom the rights are placed are taxable for corporation tax. If you have any questions about this, always refer to your accountant or accountant. He or she can inquire about the exact applicable tax law.

N.B. Sena cannot be held responsible for incorrect VAT/income tax or corporation tax returns. We are also obliged to pass on the continued payments to beneficiaries annually, via an IB47 form, to the tax authorities.

You can change your mandate via MySena. After logging in to the portal, click on "Musician" or "Company" at the top of the page and go to "Mandates". After you’ve clicked "Add", you can make the changes and save them. Then, print the "Mandate change" form and upload the signed form as proof.

Each mandate change must be entered before October 1st of each calendar year, after which the change will take effect on January 1st of the following year.

If you want to cancel your account with Sena, send a signed letter stating your Sena number by email to Prefer sending it by post? That’s possible too. Send the letter to: Sena, attn. Customer Relations, Antwoordnummer 1240, 1200 WB Hilversum.

According to Article 7 of the exploitation agreement you can terminate the agreement on December 31st of each calendar year, subject to a cancellation period of at least 3 months. The termination then takes effect on January 1st of the following year.

Music customers

Playing music in public means playing music outside a private setting, such as at your business premises or in workspaces. In such cases, you need a licence from Sena and Buma/Stemra. Is your business or workplace not accessible to guests or customers? Or do only a couple of people work at your office? In that case you do not need a licence for the music played. You can check what your specific situation entails on

If you play music to your employees or customers, you will be required to pay a fee to the relevant music makers, since music has a positive effect on your employees and the experience that your customers have (see, and can cause your turnover to increase as a result. So, it is in the interests of your business to play music.

When you buy a CD, play music on the radio or TV or sign up to a music-streaming service, you are only paying for the private use of the music in question. The price you pay does not include the use of this music for business purposes, as it is not known whether you will also be using the music for business purposes or playing it in public. By paying a fee to Sena and Buma/Stemra, you are also permitted to play the music to customers and employees in your business premises. You will find that it is easy to arrange your licence via

Looking for a detailed answer? Find it here!

Sena and Buma work for different groups of music makers. Musicians and producers receive a fee for the use of their musical work via Sena. Buma ensures that composers and lyricists receive a fee. When you play music, the music played is owned by all of the above people, which is why you must pay both Sena and Buma for your music licence.

Looking for a detailed answer? Find it here!

If you play music at your business premises, generally speaking you will need a licence for which you are required to pay Sena and Buma an annual licence fee. Naturally, no fee will be due if you do not play music in your business premises. So, you will only pay a fee if you play music to your guests, customers or employees.

If you do play music, but your business or workplace is not accessible to guests or customers and you have fewer than three full-time employees, no fee will be due in this case either. Go to to see which licensing requirements apply to your business.

Go to to calculate your fee amount quickly and easily. The fee due will depend on how you use music, the number of employees you have or your retail floor area.

The fees charged for music use are based on:

  • the economic interest you have in music use. For example, the fee for background music is lower than the fee for foreground music;
  • visitor intensity. If you have a shop with low visitor intensity (a hairdresser’s or butchers’, for example), you will pay less than someone who has a shop with a high visitor intensity (a supermarket or a department store, for example);
  • discussions with the sector organisations concerned;
  • the original fee for the live performance of musical works;
  • the fees charged by organisations abroad that are similar to Sena and Buma.

As a business, it is impossible for you to keep track of how many people in your business premises are listening to music. This is why you pay a fixed, reasonable annual fee. The fee due from you is calculated on the basis of simple, verifiable data, such as the number of employees that could listen to music or the floor area of your shop.

If your sector organisation arranged music use for you via a collective agreement, you will be eligible for a discount on the fee you pay for music use. Contact your sector organisation for more information.

Yes. If you become a member of your sector organisation, you will be able to purchase a music licence on the basis of a collective agreement. This often has advantages. Once you have become a sector organisation member, you will no longer receive invoices directly from Sena.

We pass on the money we receive from licence fees to musicians and producers. We ensure they receive a fee for the use of their music.

Looking for a detailed answer? Find it here!

Yes, our field staff monitor whether businesses use music. They visit businesses where music is presumed to be played, but no licence fee is being paid.

Yes, you can take out an adjusted licence, taking account of the shorter duration that music is played in public. You can apply for the licence via

Music sourced from consumer streaming services may not be used for business purposes. This contravenes the conditions of use of these music services. Since consumer streaming services are for personal use only, they may not be used for commercial purposes, including in shops, cafés, offices, workplaces, etc.

Yes, because in this situation, you will have paid for the provision of music as a product. This is separate to the licence you need to play music in public. You will be required to pay a fee to Sena and Buma if you plan to do this. To apply for a licence, go to

If your business has moved and you would like to change your address, please contact the Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Service Centre (Service Centrum Auteurs- en Naburige Rechten). Do this by calling +31 (0)70 - 45 28 873 or sending an email to

If you have a question or complaint that relates specifically to Sena or its performance, please submit it via the online form.

Questions about or changes to your music licence
If you would like to notify us of any changes to your information or if you have any questions about how your fee has been calculated, please contact us within three weeks of the date on which you are charged the fee. We will then respond to your question as quickly as possible (within a maximum of two months). You can do this by calling +31 (0)70 45 28 873 or sending an email to

Invoice-related complaints
If you have a complaint about an invoice you have received from the Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Service Centre (Service Centrum Auteurs- en Naburige Rechten), please complete the online complaints form or call +31 (0)70 45 28 873.

If you have not received a decision about the applicability of the fee or the amount of the invoice, or if you are not happy with the decision you receive, you will have three months to submit a dispute to the Copyright Disputes Committee (Geschillencommissie Auteursrechten).