General licences | Sena
Social Facebook Instagram Twitter LinkedIn Youtube

Licences for general use

Apply for a licence

Why do I have to pay to play music

We manage the rights of over 33,000 artists, session musicians and producers. We do this based on the Dutch Neighbouring Rights Act (WNR: Wet op de naburige rechten). This act dates from 1993 and states that ‘musicians and producers are entitled to equitable remuneration if the commercial phonograms published by them are publicly performed or played’. Or in plain language: music makers are entitled to equitable remuneration whenever their music is played in public. This does not apply exclusively to music from the Netherlands. You can arrange a licence through us when you wish to use music from abroad, too. The exact amount you must pay for a licence depends on the situation.

Apply for a licence

You can secure both your Sena and Buma licence at the same time online at You will receive a combined invoice from the Copyright and Neighbouring Rights Service Centre (Scan). This is the service organisation for clients that handles the administrative processing of the music licences on behalf of Sena and Buma.

Apply for a licence

View rates

Multiple locations, one invoice
Do you have multiple locations and would like to receive a single central invoice? Please contact the Service Centre for Copyright and Neighbouring Rights to make the necessary arrangements. The phone number is +31 (0)23 - 7997 845.

Enjoy collective benefit
Sena has concluded collective licensing contracts with a large number of sector organisations. This allows you to enjoy a collective discount on one or more Sena fees. Contact your sector organisation directly for information.

For sector organisations: what must I do to qualify for a collective agreement?

Change your licence

Has the floor area of your restaurant or shop increased? Has your company experienced a growth spurt and are you now employing more staff? Or has your company perhaps recently downsized? It may affect your licence. Please notify us of any changes as soon as possible. This will prevent you from paying too little or too much.

Your licence is based on a number of factors. These include square metres, FTEs, sector and size. Your rates may change if one of these factors changes.

Do you wish to report a change to your licence?
You can submit your change in the following ways:

  • Change your licence yourself at, and go to ‘My Account’
  • Email the change to
  • Send the change in writing by post to: Service Centrum Auteurs- en Naburige rechten, PO Box 1316, 2130 EK Hoofddorp

Is your licence part of a collective arrangement for a sector organisation? Please submit the change to the secretarial office of your section organisation.

Submitting a change request does not have a suspensive effect. Your change request will be handled as soon as possible and no later than two weeks after receipt.

Do you use music in your business?

Apply for a licence

Any questions?

Do you have a question?
Please contact the Service Centre for Copyright and Neighbouring Rights (SCAN). SCAN is the service organization of among others Sena and Buma.

Get in touch with SCAN
One of the SCAN colleagues will be happy to help. Call +31 (0)70 - 45 28 873 or email SCAN is available on working days between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.