Social Facebook Instagram LinkedIn Youtube


From collection to distribution


Income from general licences

Sena manages the rights of over 33,000 musicians and producers who are registered with Sena.  These music creators are entitled to payment when their music is played in a commercial setting. We regularly receive questions about the where the money comes from and what Sena does with income we collect. In this section, we focus on some of the most commonly asked questions. 

Here, we take a look at where Sena's income comes from and discuss music used in public places under the general licence.

Sena's income comes from four main sources:

  • Income from broadcasters, such as radio stations and television channels
  • Other income, such as from new media
  • Income from general licences, such as bars and restaurants
  • International income

In this section, we take a closer look at the third source of income: income from general licences, such as restaurants and bars. Do you want to know more about the media income or international income? Then you can read about this in part 1 and part 3.


Income from general licences

Music creates atmosphere when it is played in public places. That’s why so many businesses play music in shops, gyms, restaurants and bars and offices. However, different rules apply than when you listen to music at home. If music can be heard by guests, customers or more than two employees then it falls into the general licences category. Sena collects money from businesses for this use on behalf of the musicians and products. The amount depends on the size of the company, the industry and the number of people working there.


Payment by businesses

Businesses pay Sena individually or via a trade organisation. Many trade organisations, such as Koninklijke Horeca Nederland, have a joint agreement for all their members. The trade organisation pays the full amount to Sena and then invoices its members. As a result, affiliated businesses benefit from a group discount. Businesses who are not affiliated with a trade organisation must independently purchase a music license from Sena to play music in their company.